What are the 7 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Became a Leader

One of the common mistakes created by organizations and people is that they usually assume that to achieve success, the sole path is into a management or leadership role. The fact is that you simply have your own choices. If it’s not what you wish to try to do, then don’t. Too many sensible operators are destroyed as a result of them taking on a leadership role thinking that it had been the sole alternative they’d. There’s another alternative which is “simply say No”.

It is not regarding pleasing others, it’s regarding doing what you fancy doing. If however, it’s the trail you decide on, then prepare for an associate degree exciting, rewarding, and uncomfortable or jerky road. Here are the 7 things I wish I knew before I became a leader because they could help me in effectively performing my role.

What are the 7 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Became a Leader?

All About People

It is usually assumed that a good leader is one having technical command of the relevant field. During our life, we encounter such strategies that to get a promotion towards a leadership role, you have to be an expert in technical skills. Technical skills are undoubtedly good but if you’re thinking that it is something that may lead you towards leadership … you might be wrong.

According to my point, you should own the leadership qualities like the ability to inspire someone or motivate subordinates. It helps in determining the level of success as a leader. The higher you reach, the important of such elements is becoming essential.

Being a leader, approximately 10% of your job will be dealing with technical issues while the other 90% will be all about the people. You should know how to resolve and manage 90% of your job and the remaining 10% will be solved within no time.

No Need to Know about Everything

Again leadership isn’t knowing about each and everything. You’re a leader therefore, you should necessarily not know all the answers. Because a leader is not someone who provides the solution but supports their team with trust. You may provide them with the guidelines and find the solutions along with them. Such an approach helps in building strong and trustworthy connections with your team members.

Usually, it is observed, if the bosses or leaders work with an attitude that “they know everything”, their team tries not to ask them for their contribution. Their team sometimes feels disrespectful. Therefore, a leader should build connections by giving them a chance to share solutions and appreciate them positively.


Recognition is something that works amazingly for your team members. Everyone loves self-worth and finds innovative ways to get recognition. Leadership and management understand the requirement because it helps in driving productivity. Your appreciation and team recognition improve their performance and they’ll do their best for their job.

Employee Engagement is Your Responsibility

Employee Engagement

Employee engagement is something that doesn’t relate to an employee’s job because as I found during my career, it is the responsibility of a leader. Yes, employee engagement is not about the performance of your team but how you manage to get work from the employees. It significantly improves the performance of your team and that performance is your responsibility. To improve your employee engagement a leader may take the following steps:

  • Clearly state and make your team clear about the objectives and goals.
  • Let the team understand the importance of their job and relevant tasks for themselves as well as for the organization.
  • Let them know that their contribution matters.
  • Try to connect the aspirations of your team towards the goal.

How to Get the People to Accept Accountability?

Being a leader this is something I found hardest, especially at the initial stage of my career. If you’re a leader, then why do your team or subordinates accept accountability? Remember, you can’t make your team accountable. You’re assigning them tasks and responsibilities but still, they aren’t committing the success or taking complete ownership for the outcomes.

So, you have to make them ready for this hardest job. You’re the leader and it is your responsibility to make them accept the accountability for the failure. Here are a few tips that may help you in encouraging the team to accept accountability:

  • You have to set an example by yourself before expecting things to be in your team.
  • Make sure to provide everything to your team that ensures their success.
  • You may develop a complete environment where mistakes are accepted.
  • Make your team feel safe.

Your Words Do Matter

Being a leader your every action and word matters a lot for the team as well as the organization. You should know that you’re under observation for every action and word. If your words and actions align with the business objectives and goals, you’ll be a role model.

Again before saying any word or performing any action, a leader should be careful because they’re being monitored by the team. They’ll follow your action and words not regarding the specific job but in generic terms.

360 Degree Job

Leadership is not just working for the people, you’re the representative of people among the management and the representative of management in front of the people. So, you’ve to manage things wisely. You have to build a strong relationship with upper management and make sure that your actions are positively contributing to success. You have to manage good relations with your team with enhanced cooperation and at the same time ensure loyalty towards the business growth.

If a leader is only focused on upper management and ignores their peers, it may damage their career badly. They’ll not be able to get productive results from their team.

It is not easy to be a successful leader, but I think these 7 things are important to understand before navigating your career towards a successful leader.

Leave a Comment